Although individual websites may be easy to establish, keeping track of thousands of sites is challenging. A portfolio showcase is one solution that allows you to collect and organize your work while showing it off quickly! Making an impactful portfolio using a WordPress portfolio plugin with categories is simple. So, let’s get started!
Before even deciding on a WordPress portfolio plugin, it is essential that you first establish your case for having an online portfolio. For example, there may be situations where you wish to unveil side projects or are driven by the desire to make money through affiliate marketing. Therefore, knowing why you need a portfolio site will help you decide which features to look for and whether WordPress portfolio plugins are the right choice.
Once you have decided why you need a WordPress portfolio, it’s time to get started by finding the right showcase tool for your needs. This lets you choose from numerous free and paid options, such as GS Filterable Portfolio. Even though these tools offer different features, they enable you to organize your work into unlimited categories that can be filtered and displayed in a gallery format.
- In 5 Simple Steps, How to Install WordPress Portfolio Plugin with Categories
- What is a portfolio gallery?
- How do I use WordPress portfolio plugins?
- Can you make a portfolio on WordPress?
- How do I add a portfolio gallery in WordPress?
- How do I turn on a portfolio in WordPress?
- How do I link my Portfolio to a page in WordPress?
- How do I change the portfolio image in WordPress?
- How to add multiple images to the portfolio item gallery?
- How to display portfolios category-wise?
- How do I find my portfolio category in WordPress?
- How do I add a category to my Portfolio in WordPress?
WordPress portfolio plugins with categories also allow the best possible display on every device by providing responsive design functionality. This will enable customers on any device to view your Portfolio in its best possible light while allowing you to gain more potential customers.
However, after working as a WordPress developer for many years, I have noticed that website owners frequently make a perfunctory portfolio section and add no modifications or improvements after nearly a year and a few months. If your website has recorded sessions enabled, you’ll observe that site visitors spend more than 70% of their total time on the website portfolio component.
Do you know why people would stay on your site for so long? It’s because your website’s slogan could be either sell or persuade users to acquire your services. They approach each other and attempt to check out everything according to their needs before hiring or purchasing anything. If they discover a perfect match between your Portfolio and their needs, they will surely go by buying your services.
However, having top-tier products or professional working excellence that can astound website visitors and clients is difficult for site owners to deliver. Do you know why? According to my observations, three factors might lead to such a circumstance.
- Designers, writers, and other creative professionals who lacked technological competence could not keep up with the changes.
- Others didn’t have the time or money to pay a WordPress developer to create a responsive category filterable portfolio WordPress plugin.
- Many of them are unclear about which characteristics make a website portfolio section stand out.
To make it easier for everyone, I’ve opened my laptop today. After reading all of my full articles, I’m sure you can build a filterable portfolio section in WordPress without any code. Even if you don’t want to code or spend time or money thinking about the portfolio plugin’s categories feature, you’ll find everything in this complete article.
Many of the portfolio tools available in WordPress are designed for photographers, illustrators, or artists with one specific purpose showcasing their work. These make it easy to manage portfolios with dozens of images that can be listed, tagged, and categorized to create relevant lists of posts containing thumbnails that resemble a grid-style format.
With GS Filterable Portfolio, you can easily add a new media record or edit your existing entries using the WordPress panel without any web development knowledge. In addition, this plugin makes it possible for users to filter and sort each category independently of other slider settings while also providing an option to turn off one category at a time.
In 5 Simple Steps, How to Install WordPress Portfolio Plugin with Categories
GS Filterable Portfolio has been crafted with great care so that you can install this plugin on any WordPress website. Even to give an ultimate user experience, we tested GS Logo Slider plugin in more than 1000 popular best WordPress themes. Still, Providing support for all the WordPress themes in the market is challenging. On top of that, if you find any conflict with your theme, let us know. I assure you will provide a fix, especially for your WordPress website. Let me give you some tips that will help you organize a WordPress portfolio plugin with categories.
Step 01: Install Portfolio Plugin Slider
The excellent filterable Portfolio is easy to install, doesn’t take time, and forces you to follow extra installation steps. Login to your WordPress admin, navigate to Plugins > New, search for GS Portfolio. The screen comes with a result. Click on Install Now button on the GS portfolio plugin.
Step 02: Activate
When you successfully install this plugin, it’s time to click on Activate Plugin link to install this plugin, as the following image indicates. Afterward, the plugin will be ready to use, and you can notice a menu titled GS Portfolio will be added automatically. You can add a new portfolio item from the setting in your portfolio gallery and set the portfolio category for a filterable portfolio handle. And other settings to customize the frontend look how it’ll display your portfolio showcase. Activate this plugin and enjoy the WordPress Portfolio plugin with categories.
Step 03: Add Portfolio Item
After activating this plugin, it’s ready to show the portfolio gallery. But there are no items to display. To add items to the portfolio gallery:
- Click on Add New Portfolio.
- Add portfolio title, description, and relevant photo in the feature image area.
- Don’t forget to add categories for each portfolio item.
It adds sortable handles to filter your works in the artistic gallery-like Isotope, or Masonry. After providing all required details, click Publish button.
Step 04: All Portfolio & Category
After publishing your portfolio item, you can find them all from all portfolio items; together, look at the following screenshot for further details. We can term this area as Portfolio Manager. From here, you can add, unpublish, delete, and update portfolio items “on the fly.” From the Portfolio Category. You can manipulate category details the way you perform from the portfolio manager.
Step 05: Portfolio Settings
Portfolio Settings is the most crucial part of the responsive Portfolio WordPress plugin. The section has many proper settings that give the ultimate flexibility to customize the total look of the portfolio gallery.
Like from Columns, you can divide portfolio items into 2/3/4 sortable columns; filter Category Position helps you decide whether your portfolio categories will align left, right, or center. The portfolio Image Width and Image Height will specify the total item width and height. Portfolio Button Text allows you to add and change portfolio button text like more details, read more, etc. You can also change the primary color of linked text, hover, and popup effect from this screen.
Portfolio in Filter Grid View
Portfolio Popup View
GS Portfolio is a lightweight, minimal, and simple WordPress Portfolio plugin that doesn’t make your fast-loading website slow because it doesn’t incorporate unnecessary features and code. Yet the powerful plugin can add you to an enchanting portfolio/project gallery anywhere on your WordPress-powered website using shortcode [gs_portfolio]. This feature describes most WordPress portfolio plugins with categories.
What is a portfolio gallery?
Portfolio Gallery provides a convenient way to collect a variety of artworks. Using this WordPress Portfolio plugin, you can showcase multiple items and projects.
How do I use WordPress portfolio plugins?
Install & activation
- Add the plugin to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin from the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Create Portfolio.
- Add a shortcode or widget to display the Portfolio.
Can you make a portfolio on WordPress?
Yes, you may use WordPress to build a portfolio. Just install GS Filterable Portfolio and enable it. Create a portfolio and publish items within it.
How do I add a portfolio gallery in WordPress?
GS Filterable Portfolio is accessible via the WordPress.org plugin directory or by uploading the files to your server. Go to the plugin menu after enabling GS Filterable Portfolio. Create a portfolio filter gallery, customize settings, and save it.
How do I turn on a portfolio in WordPress?
You’ll need to install the GS Portfolio plugin, activate it, and then add a few items to your Portfolio. Make a shortcode for displaying on a page or post. There are 20+ portfolio presentation styles, such as grid, sliders, masonry, filter, and timeline views.
How do I link my Portfolio to a page in WordPress?
- Go to WordPress Dashboard > Portfolio > Add/Edit Portfolio > Add External Link.
- Insert a link to your Portfolio in the External Link field with http:// or https://. Leave it blank if you don’t have a website or a link.
How do I change the portfolio image in WordPress?
You’ve already added a few items/projects to the Portfolio plugin, but you’ll need to replace or modify the project’s image. If that’s the case, follow these instructions.
- Go to WordPress Dashboard > GS Portfolios > All Portfolios
- All existing portfolio items are available. Edit an item to change the image.
- On the right sidebar, an image is available. Now “Remove Featured Image“
- After removing it, you’ll get the link to “Set Featured Image.”
- Click the link to select an image from Media Library/upload files.
- Select an image. You can set Alt Text, Title, and other settings as needed. Then click the “Set Featured Image” button at the bottom right.
- Finally, update the Portfolio.
How to add multiple images to the portfolio item gallery?
Sometimes you need to add multiple images/galleries for a portfolio item. You can do that by following the steps –
- Go to WordPress Dashboard > GS Portfolios > Add New Portfolio
- Add title, description & others. Then select the type from GS Portfolio Metabox. Default: Single Image. You can select anyone from the dropdown – Single Image, Image Slider, Audio, or Video.
- We’ll select an Image Slider for the gallery.
- After selecting Image Slider, the Image Gallery panel will be visible to add images.
- Click on Add Gallery button.
- Select multiple images & click on “Add to Gallery.”
- Edit Gallery panel will display. Here you can drag-drop & reorder images.
- Click on the Insert Gallery button.
- Finally, publish the portfolio item.
How to display portfolios category-wise?
Use the following shortcode for a three-column portfolio: “WordPress & marketing” category data & no filtering Category names.
[gs_portfolio portfolio_cat="wordpress,marketing" port_cols_val="4" cats_name="none"]
How do I find my portfolio category in WordPress?
Go to GS Portfolios to see your Portfolio category slug. You’ll discover the portfolio category and all of its slugs here.
How do I add a category to my Portfolio in WordPress?
You can add categories for the Portfolio in 2 ways –
- First, go to GS Portfolios > Portfolio category & Add New Portfolio Category
- Add Name, slug, and description. Click on Add New Portfolio Category.
- New Portfolio Category will create to use.
- You will now see a list of the Project categories you have created.
- Second, create a new portfolio.
- At the right sidebar, you can create a new Portfolio Category or assign from previously created categories.
Many WordPress plugins are available in the market; they all have some separate features. But our GS Portfolio has superiority over all of them. Curious to know the reason behind it? It’s because before crafting this plugin, we had conducted extensive research on the market; we found a couple of complications.
Some plugins have fantastic features but slow the website, creating internal conflict with other popular plugins and themes. So, I can claim this as the best portfolio plugin in the directory of WordPress plugins.
Feel free to ask If you have any questions to ask us.